Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Book Excerpt: Going to Breastfeeding Support Group Felt Like A Lunar Expedition

I had postpartum depression after the birth of my firstborn, Pippa. I was diagnosed in July 2013, spent four nights in the hospital and then worked with a cognitive behavioral psychologist for seven months. Now I am writing a memoir about my adventures with postpartum depression.

When I was pregnant, I learned about a weekly breastfeeding support group at the hospital where I delivered Pippa.  It sounded like an excellent place to make new friends and get free advice about the mysterious art of breastfeeding.  I attended the breastfeeding support group the Thursday before I went into labor.  The moms were friendly, and many were there with babies less than a month old.  I assumed I would be back as soon as I had my own sweet newborn.

The class was held on Thursdays at 11 a.m.  Every Wednesday night, I went to bed assuming I would take Pippa to the support group in the morning.  And every Thursday morning, I convinced myself to stay home.  I was too damn tired to drive.  Pippa might want to eat when we were in the car.  She might cry.  There might not be enough seats at the group’s meeting room – then what?  How could I sit on the floor and breastfeed?  How would I get all the paraphernalia we needed from the car to the meeting room and back again?  Could I carry Pippa and a backpack at the same time?  Or should I just use the stroller?  But what if Pippa did not want to be in the stroller?  Could I carry her and push the stroller at the same time?  What if I tripped what if what if what if?

Week after week, I stayed home.  There were too many variables, too many issues that might arise, too many catastrophes that might occur.  Home was easier.

Yet a small piece of me kept protesting my self-imposed exile.  That small piece begged and pleaded and bargained and negotiated and threatened until finally, five weeks after Pippa was born, we made our triumphant debut at the breastfeeding support group.

It was glorious.  I sat in a circle of moms as a lactation consultant answered our questions.  Pippa was not hungry, but I managed to undress and weigh her and confirm that she had gained weight since our last doctor’s appointment.  Hallelujah!  My child was not starving at my breast! 

The group met for an hour, and I spent most of that time stealing glances at a woman on the other side of the room.  From one angle, she looked like a law school classmate; but then she would turn her head and I was not so certain.  When the group disbanded, I was in the elevator with this woman and asked if she had gone to UCLA for law school – she had!  We chatted as long as our babies allowed and then talked about seeing each other at next week’s meeting.

I felt a touch of panic as we said our farewells.  Did this mean I had to go to breastfeeding group next week?  What if we had a terrible sleepless night the day before?  What if I was sick?  What if Pippa was napping when it was time to leave?  What if what if what if?  It had taken me five weeks to gather the necessary courage to come today.  Would I be ready to undergo this entire ordeal in one week?  But what if I missed class and my law school classmate only came to see me?  She would hate me! 

As I drove out of the parking garage, Pippa started to cry.  I thought she might just be fussing because she did not want to be in her car seat, but her cries turned into wails and the wails escalated into screams.  She was hungry.  Holy fuck, no, she was hungry!  She had not nursed during the entire breastfeeding support group, but now she was ready to eat.  What should I do?  We were five minutes away from home!  Should I pull over and feed Pippa in the car?  But how could I do that?  I had never done that before!  My breastfeeding pillow was at home.  What if someone looked in the window and saw my breast?  What if Pippa did not want to feed in the car?  What if she did not want to go back in the car seat when she was done feeding?


I kept driving but berated myself.  I was a terrible, thoughtless, selfish mother.  I did not deserve this baby.  Everyone must think I was a terrible mother.  What sort of mother dragged her daughter to a breastfeeding support group so she could socialize with other moms?  Selfish selfish selfish!  How could I subject my daughter to a car seat and the torture of being hungry for five minutes when we could have stayed at home?  

No comments:

Post a Comment